Monday, November 10, 2008

Thanks for the Sh--!

Somewhere, I've read this simplistic but difficult message: Instead of just being grateful for what you think is "good," be grateful for the "bad" stuff too.

In practice, this is a very tall order, but not if you start out small. I embrace my spiritual-kindergartener status: I must begin with saying, "Thank You!" after getting a knock to my funny bone. You know what? Being grateful for the bit of pain was oddly freeing.

I try again. This time with a much, much harder challenge for me: traffic. After I curse the driver who cuts me off (sorry, but I'm not yet able to restructure that bad habit), I calm down a minute and then through clenched teeth I utter, "Thank You for that asshole that cut me off." And then I laugh at my resistance. But the laughter means something is working here! That's exactly the point of being grateful for the bad stuff: lighten up & suspend judgment of what you think is so bad.

I may never be able to exhibit gratefulness for the really big stuff, but that's okay. Life is made up of mostly the little stuff anyway.

No comments: