Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Do you mind? I'm spiritually growing here!

Back in the steam room: It's my moment of quiet, a time to retreat inwardly to recharge my spiritual batteries. I look forward to being alone for once in my entire day.

But wait! She is in my private steamy sanctuary. I cannot feel free to do my diaphragmatic breathing with my gut ballooning outwards if she is here too. I cannot inhale super slowly without inhibition because now I must wonder if she thinks I'm some sort of heavy breathing weirdo. She is disturbing my inner equilibrium which I have worked hard (2 days at 5 minutes each) to obtain. Did I mention that her skinny butt is at least 15 years younger than mine?

In this already clausterphobic space the size of a walk-in closet, she is doing knee bends, squats, and lunges.

"Do you mind?! I'm spiritually growing here!"
For some reason, she leaves.

I resume: "I am a loving, spiritual person, in harmony with all creation . . ."